Here's a .png version of a texture i made for a project requiring a gas giant.
Feel free to use it however for whatever you want.
I searched about for a texture i could use, and got inspired by various awesomeness but wanted that extra dose of detail. I ended up having a go at making my own and this was my inital result.
i would upload my final one with more definition, but i have a sinking feeling it's lost in the mess that is my pictures folder...or possibly even deleted in a pitiful attempt to clean said folder up (we've all been there!). ><'
For those of you out there who want to have a go at making you own here's a few tips i discovered along the way.
- use lots of layers!, erase bits, play with blending modes and levels
- the 'motion blur/wave' technique does work, but keep the settings low on the 'wave' and repeat the filter (again vary the layers/blending)
- try adding detail with grunge/cloud brushes (motion blur/wave can work again here if things start to look odd)
- try merging the layers onto a seperate new layer then reducing the layers size vertically. with a bit of blending this can give awesome new bands of detail.
- sneaky tip for extra detail (the bits that blend the bands etc)...use one of the many freely available jupiter maps out there. You do run the risk of making it look too much like jupiter, but again play around with resizing/flipping/erasing/multiple layers can help with this.
let me know how you get on.
i found the final texture i used. see it here: [link]